Below are a sampling of several recent presentations, publications and online resources that have been shared to promote and expand the understanding of universal design for learning across a variety of disciplines and approaches.
- Smith, F. G. & De Arment (2017). The global UDl virtual classroom: Researching cultural perspectives. UDL Spotlight Session. CAST Summer 2017 UDL Symposium, Boston, MA
- De Arment, S., Smith, F. G., & Yu, X. (2016). An investigation of universal design for learning for preparing early childhood special educators. 2016 American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Washington, DC (selected paper session).
- Smith, F. G. & Leconte, P. (October, 2015). Looking back and focusing forward: Technology and innovative approaches for differentiating the VE practice. 16th National Forum on Issues in Vocational Assessment, Atlantic Beach, NC
- Smith, F. G. & Croasdaile, S. (September, 2015). Using UDL to change our perspectives on teaching positive behavior. Reframing Disciplinary Practices Through a Tiered System of Support, Virginia Department of Education, Richmond, VA
- Smith, F. G., Reed, M. E., & Arnold, A. (2015). Building solid bases: Designing culturally relevant UDL professional development with Jamaican educators. Conference Summit Proceedings, 2015 UDL-IRN Summit, Gulfport, MI.
- Smith, F. G., Leconte, P., Garner, W. E., & Umeasiegbu, V. I. (2015). Current technology in vocational evaluation: Trends and opportunities, Joint Issue of the Vocational Evaluation and Career Assessment Professionals and the Vocational Evaluation and Work Adjustment Association Journal.
- Smith, F. G. (2014, October). Universal design for learning: Multiple means for representation, action, expression and engagement. 5th Biennial Education Conference, Mico University College, Kingston, Jamaica.
- Reed, M. E., Smith, F. G, Arnold, A., & Evering, S. (2014). Universal design for learning and adaptive expertise as key frameworks for reforming special educator practice, Conference Proceedings, 2014 Division on Special Education and Services (DISES) Annual Conference, Braga, Portugal.
- Smith, F. G. (2014). Crafting a graduate course that teaches and models UDL: A twelve+ year journey; Developing an online course: Tips, tricks, trials and triumphs, 2014 Summer UDL Institute, Towson University, MD. http://community.udlcenter.org/group/summer-2014-udl-institute-at-towson-university/page/fran-smith
- Reed, E., Smith, F., King, A., Wojcik, A. & Temple, P. (2014, May). Building a universal design for learning (UDL) virtual classroom, 2014 VCU Online Learning Summit, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
- Reed, M. E. & Smith, F. G. (2013, November). Preparing responsive teacher educators through universal design for learning and adaptive expertise. 2013 Annual TED Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, http://wp.vcu.edu/responsiveteachers/
- Reed, M. E. & Smith, F. G. (2013, June). Selected roundtable discussion: Two lenses for disrupting professional education: Adaptive expertise and universal design for learning, International Roundtable, Division on International Special Education Services, Tobago, West Indies. http://wp.vcu.edu/responsiveteachers/
- Smith, F. G. (2012). Analyzing a college course that adheres to the universal design for learning (UDL) framework. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 12(3), pp. 1-30.
- Jackson, R., Karger, J., Smith, F. G. (2011). UDL project vision statement, Boston College Universal Design for Learning Taskforce. Retrieved from http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/its/projects/udl/project-vision-statement.html
- Carter, T. J., Nugent, J. S., Reardon, R. M., Rhodes, J. A., & Smith, F. G. (2010). Self-directed learning in a faculty learning community: The FLC as “organizing circumstance”, Learning Communities Journal, 2(1), http://celt.muohio.edu/lcj/issue.php?v=2&n=1
- Smith, F. G. (2010). Expanding the growing reach of universal design for learning, Innovations and Perspectives, Virginia Department of Education’s Training and Technical Assistance Center, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Smith, F. G. (2009). Awareness of universal design for learning grows through national efforts.Innovations and Perspectives, Virginia Department of Education’s Training and Technical Assistance Center, Virginia Commonwealth University.
- Nugent, J., Reardon, R. M., Smith, F. G., Rhodes, J. A., Zander, M. J., & Carter, T. J. (2008). Exploring faculty learning communities: Building connections among teaching, learning and technology, International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 20(1), 51-58,
- Smith, F. G. & Leconte, P. (2004). Universal design for learning: Assuring access and success for all. VSTE Journal, 19(1). Retrieved from http://www.vste.org/documents/vj_1901_all.pdf
- Smith, F. G. (2012, December). First Annual UDL Congress in the Netherlands, Utrecht, http://community.udlcenter.org/group/udl-seminar-congress-in-the-netherlands
- Smith, F.G (2013). Universal design for learning – A lens for better learning and instruction in higher education,, Nieuwsbrief SHIO februari 2013. Retrieved from http://www.siho.be/files/nieuwsbrief/Nieuwsbrief_SIHO_februari2013.pdf
- Smith, F. G., & Karger, J. (2012). Applying UDL to the transition process, 2012 IDEA Transition Community of Practice National Meeting, Charlotte, NC, http://community.udlcenter.org/group/applying-udl-to-the-transition-process-2012-idea-t
- CAST (2012, November). Keynote, UDL in Higher Education Symposium, Dawson College, Montreal, http://community.udlcenter.org/group/udl-in-higher-education-symposium
- Smith, F. G. & Karger, J. (2012) – Universal design for learning and the transition journey, 2012 Annual Arizona Transition Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, http://community.udlcenter.org/group/applying-udl-to-transition-arizona-s-12th-annual-t
- Smith, F. G., Leconte, P., & Vitelli, E. (2012). A guiding framework for career assessment: Universal design for learning, Fifteenth National Forum on Issues in Vocational Evaluation and Assessment, San Bernardino, CA. (Concurrent Session). 2012 Published National Position Paper http://www.udlcenter.org/sites/udlcenter.org/files/VECAP%20Position%20Paper%20on%20UDL_2012.pdf
- Smith, F. G., & Harris, L. (2012). Expanding career options through universal design for learning (ECO-‐UDL), Fifteenth National Forum on Issues in Vocational Evaluation and Assessment, San Bernardino, CA. (Feature Session), http://community.udlcenter.org/group/expandingcareeroptionswithudl
- Universal design for learning: What is it and why should you care?, TechKnowledgy 2010 Conference, Richmond Convention Center, Richmond, VA, http://udlteck.pbworks.com/w/page/32286495/FrontPage
- Universal design for learning in postsecondary education, 2010 State of the Art Conference on Students with Intellectual Disabilities in Postsecondary Education, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA http://udlpostsecondary.pbworks.com/w/page/30105914/FrontPage
- Learning can be fun for all with universal design for learning, Insight 2010 Conference, Hilton, Richmond, VA http://sandboxseries.pbworks.com/w/page/21313568/Universal-Design-for-Learning-in-Preschool
- Universal design for learning: Implications for educators, Professional Development Workshop, School of Teacher Education and Leadership, Radford University, http://radfordudl.pbworks.com/w/page/19387995/FrontPage
- National Education Association (2009). Creating great publics schools for all using universal design for learning and inclusive practices, National Education Association, Washington,
- Keynote presenter, Universal design for learning: Success by design, 2009 Pennsylvania Community on Transition Conference, State College, PA, http://paududltools.pbworks.com/w/page/14810104/FrontPage
- The promise of UDL for the classroom of the future: Assuring access and success for all students, Educational Technology Leadership Institute,Virginia Society for Technology in Education 24th Annual Conference, Roanoke, VA, http://thepromiseofudl.pbworks.com/w/page/3778816/FrontPage
- Smith, F. G. (2006) Invited Keynote co-‐presenter, International symposium on universal design for learning, UNIFE University | Telefonica Foundation, Lima, Peru (2006)